Saturday, December 15, 2007

Uh....Hi Mom?

Starting up your blog after such a long time is like calling your mother after six months...where to start? I'll skip the part about how guilty I feel and how I promise to do better. I never do do better anyway.

I am currently living in Moab in a lovely old house that just WILL NOT stay warm but I am enjoying every moment nonetheless. I have remembered how to love the beauty of winter...the bare-bones trees, the snowy ground, the fall's dried seedpods still clinging to the rabbitbrush. I will be here over the holidays, having decided not to subject myself to the ordeal of holiday travel but mostly because I want to be able to celebrate/mark the season in my own way, in my own town, in the circumstances which I have so gladly chosen. It turns out that almost everyone and their dog will be leaving town to travel to family, or just to travel to avoid the whole Christmas drama. But not everyone, and not me. I am decorating, I am baking, I am entertaining, I am sending out Christmas cards and throwing myself into the whole scary, glorious mess. I have made my stand, or my bed or whatever and by god I will lie in it. It's not that I refuse to be sad or lonely, just that I refuse to fear it.

It will be a zen Christmas. I like that.

No comments: